Updated: Sep 13, 2018
I have to admit that, while I love Halloween, I try to avoid some of the typical Halloween activities. My reasoning is two-fold, to keep already hyped up kids calm and to accommodate those parents who do not celebrate Halloween. This BLACK AND WHITE theme is great fun for that week before Halloween, or it can be modified for any time of year
FAVORITE BOOKS: Tana Hoban and Jane Foster have wonderful BLACK AND WHITE board books and Ann Jones' "Round Trip" would be great for older kids.
LANGUAGE CENTER IDEAS!
1. Make color words (BLACK AND WHITE) with play dough.
2. BLACK AND WHITE sight word search. Write sight words on small pieces of paper squares. Pour black and white rice in large plastic bottle along with sight words for kids to shake, find and list.
SENSORY CENTER IDEAS!
Kids can search for all kinds of black objects in white rice (buttons, spiders, bugs, plastic eyes,white and black letter beads, pom poms, & dice).
MATH CENTER IDEAS!
1. Use black and white dice for dice toss game. Kids toss dice, add dots together & record answers.
2. Sort or make patterns with black and white buttons.
3. Make patterns with black and white paper chains to decorate the room.
ART CENTER IDEAS!
1. Positive and negative space art.
a. Cut one sheet of black and one sheet of white paper in half. Tape one half sheet of black and one half sheet of white paper together.
b. Place the other half sheets on top of each other and have kids lightly draw basic half shape, such as pumpkin or cat, on white sheet and cut out together.
c. Use left over paper to make eyes, mouth etc., also cutting out together.
d. Use glue stick to adhere to opposite sides.
2. BLACK AND WHITE paper art.
TREAT IDEA! OREO COOKIES.