I fell in love with Patricia Polacco's Christmas story "Uncle Vova's Tree" and decided to have the class make the beautiful patterned stars in this book. From then on, I found many other wonderful STAR books and activities to brighten our days before Christmas.
I made a STAR pattern and had kids design patterns and cut out. They then taped a paint stick or popsicle craft stick and ribbons to back of star.
WRITING AND LANGUAGE IDEAS:
1. Great story starters are "If I could wish upon a star..." or "I am a super star because..."
2. I also like to introduce the "ar" family.
READING UNDER THE STARS: I found this wonderful idea from murrysvillelibrary.org.
1. It is as simple as hanging star garland, kid made stars, or strings of lights. Children will find it magical to read under the stars!
Garland photo from events.snydle.com
MATH AND SCIENCE ACTIVITIES:
1. Kids can pattern chains to count down days until Christmas. This idea came from librarianmade.blogspot.com.
2. Kids can make the Big Dipper using star stickers and chalk or white crayon. This great idea came from ArtsyMomma.
MANGER IDEA: I love this special take home ornament idea inspired by familymag.com.
FUN STAR BOOKS:
SNACK: Enjoy some warm hot chocolate with marshmallow stars!
Enjoy the magic of Christmas!