January and February are such long months that I try to pick fun themes to keep the children engaged.
BOOKS: There are so many delightful snowman books that I found it hard to pick my favorites!
5. "Stranger in the Woods" by Carl Sams II & Jean Stoick
6. "Snowmen at Play" by Caralyn Buckner
7. "Pip & Squeak" by Ian Schoenherr
8. "The Snowman Story" written and read by Will Hillenbrand (youtube).
VIDEOS: By far, the very best video is based on the wordless children's book called "The Snowman" by Raymond Briggs. Children are mesmerized by the music and activities of the snowman, especially when it rides a motorcycle.
10. "Five Little Snowmen" by The Kiboomers (youtube).
11. "I'm a Little Snowman" by The Kiboomers (youtube).
12. "The Winter Hokey Pokey" by The Kiboomers (youtube).
13. "Snowflakes" by Amazing short video, thanks BBC.
ART ACTIVITY: I love OIL PASTELS and especially white on dark paper, which lends itself perfectly to snowman art. I also think it makes for a more interesting picture when part of the snowman falls off the page.
MATH: This is a great activitiy to teach shapes in a math center. I gave each child a sheet of white typing paper and a sheet of dark blue construction paper. I had them use a ruler to draw a line from the left top corner to the bottom right to create a triangle for the hill. The left over half, they used to cut three different sized circles for the snowman. They then used crayons or markers to finish the rest.
Stay safe, cozy and warm this January!
Art by Debbie